Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lemon Icebox Pie

Yesterday was my grandma's 80th birthday and since I couldn't be in Arkansas to celebrate with her, I decided to make one of her recipes in her honor.  I've made her lemon icebox pie before (I think it's the same as lemon meringue but I'm not sure) and it's a great summertime pie.  Happy Birthday Mamma!

I wanted to challenge myself a little so I opted to make my own crust instead of buying one.  The recipe calls for graham cracker crust, but as a lover of Nilla wafers, I decided to try that.  Also what makes that even better is that my grandma makes banana pudding a lot with the Nilla wafers, so that reminds me of her too.  Brett's Taste of Home Baking Book had the formula for various cookie crusts so I used that as my reference.  The crust turned out great, although I think it was thicker in some parts than others.
The filling is very easy.  1 tsp of lemon zest, 1/2 a cup of lemon juice, a can of Eagle Brand, and 2 egg yolks all stirred together.  This time it didn't seem as yellow as I remember, but it still tasted delicious.

The meringue is pretty fun to make.  You just whip up the remaining 2 egg whites with 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar and gradually add 4 Tablespoons of sugar when it starts to thicken up.  When it gets peaky, you just flop it on top of the pie and spread it around.  Then you are supposed to bake it at 325 degrees until the top browns which ended up being about 30 min for me.


Yummy Yummy!

1 comment:

teacheroftwos said...

I got your message! THANK YOU For responding. It was to late for the party, but just looking at your picture and site I was able to figure it out. I ended up filling the cake with more cake mix instead of ice cream or fruit. It was just for my baby to destroy anyway! It turned out ok. I did not write on it which I should have, but like I said before it was just for him to destroy! You can check out the pictures on my blog if you like!!