Monday, November 17, 2008

Spiced Squash and Apple Soup

It is incredibly funny (to me at least) that I am willing to try so many new recipes even though I am an extremely picky eater.  I'm quite sure that this blog has something to do with it, and that is a good thing.  With my 100th post approaching I was hoping that whatever I made would be something fabulous, but now that we are here, Spiced Squash and Apple Soup will have to suffice.

This recipe, from Williams-Sonoma's Complete Entertaining Cookbook, serves 12, but thank goodness I had the foresight to quarter the recipe.  I don't think I've ever quartered a recipe before.  Luckily all the measurements worked out easily.  The only mistake I made was putting a whole apple instead of half of one.  When I get to chopping, there's no stopping me!

The chopped onion and apple sauteed in some butter and at first had an odd smell.  But after a few minutes I either got used to it, or it actually started to smell good, I'm not sure which.  While that was cooking I chopped up the butternut squash (which was hard work!) and Brett measured out the nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon and then added the chicken stock. 
 
Once I was finally done chopping up that squash, we let it simmer for 30 minutes and got to work on the cornbread
 
I love any excuse to use my immersion blender.  I was worried about the hot liquid splashing out so I wore an oven mitt.  It did splash a little bit once but it was away from me.  When the soup was smooth, we finally got to eat.

Brett and I both agreed that the soup was ok, but we won't make it again.  In fact, there are leftovers in the fridge that I'm hoping Brett will eat because I know that I'm not going to.  We'll probably have to throw it out.  I'm so glad we made cornbread with this soup because otherwise I would have been starving.  I ate as much as I could, but I think I have a problem with pureed soups.  It's a texture thing, or maybe it's an just an unfamiliar vegetable thing.  I don't know what my problem is.  It certainly looks yummy though.

No comments: