Saturday, May 30, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

Either the folks at Taste of Home have a genius choosing their covers, or I'm lazy (maybe both.)  Brett's mom sent me a copy of Cooking for 2 magazine recently and I was immediately set on making the Scalloped Potatoes with Ham that was featured on the cover.  Brett and I had just been talking about how much we like potatoes, but how rarely we make them, so this seemed like a natural thing to make.

I followed the recipe almost exactly (we had half a leftover red onion that I used instead of white onion).  I love the flavor of Worcestershire sauce, but have hardly any recipes that call for it.  I got a big laugh when I pulled the tiny bottle out of the cabinet and read the "best by" date: 11/26/04!  I had Brett guess what it said and he actually got the correct year! Anyway, I smelled it, and it still smelled yummy, so into the recipe it went!  I also love anything with Cajun seasoning, so I knew this would be a good one.  The only other change I made was omitting the 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of sherry or chicken broth. 1 and 1/2 teaspoons hardly seemed worth it since I didn't have sherry and only had chicken broth granules.

The thinly sliced potatoes and onions (thank you mandoline!) got layered with the cheesy, creamy sauce and cubed ham and went in the oven.  It was definitely a keeper!

No comments: