Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mark's Favorite Chicken

Mark's Favorite Chicken is named for my cousin, and is also known in the family as "Chicken on the Ritz." This used to be a staple for Brett and me back in college, but it isn't exactly health food so we cut back considerably.

As many of you know, chicken is my least favorite thing to cook. So instead of making this from scratch I TOTALLY cheat. Whenever I get hungry for chicken or really just can't think of anything to cook, I buy one of those roasted grocery store chickens. They are absolutely delicious and I never have to see it raw. We eat regular chicken one night and then Brett kindly pulls all the leftovers off the carcass and puts it in a container for the next night. He deals with the carcass because if I see spine I feel the gag reflex kicking in.

With the leftover chicken I make half the recipe of Mark's Favorite Chicken, so feel free to double this. You just put the torn up chicken in the bottom of a baking dish, mix together 4 ounces of sour cream (I buy light,) 1/2 a can of cream of chicken soup (I get Healthy Request,) and 1/4 cup of chicken broth (whatever you do, DO NOT buy low sodium...YUCK!) Then you pour the mixture over the chicken, top it with crunched up Ritz crackers and poppy seeds. It bakes for half an hour at 350 degrees and it is delicious. I always serve it with rice and mix it all up together on my plate. Mmmmm.

No comments: