Monday, September 8, 2008

Peach Cobbler


Lately it seems that my only motivation for cooking something is someone's birthday and that remains true with today's post.  For my Dad's birthday my mom was making peach cobbler so I jumped in there and helped out.

This is an incredibly easy recipe that is very tasty too.  I was in charge of preparing most of the filling, and Mom did the biscuit topping.  We decided to double the recipe, which of course involved paying attention (not my forte) and math (not Mom's forte.)  I don't think we messed anything up... but maybe I just wasn't paying attention :)  Counting out 8 teaspoons of cornstarch and 12 tablespoons of brown sugar does allow for a lot of error.  After an incredibly filling dinner at Angelo's and Vinci's, we were hard pressed to find room for dessert but we all managed somehow.  Happy Birthday Dad!

Fruit filling:
4 tsp cornstarch
6 T brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
16 oz can sliced peaches (drained)
2 T butter
2 tsp lemon juice

In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, brown sugar, and water.  Add peaches.  Cook and stir until bubbly.  Add 2 T butter and lemon juice.  Pour into 1 quart baking dish.  Set aside.

Biscuit topping:
2/3 cup flour
4 T sugar
1 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
3 T butter
4 T milk

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in 3 T butter, then stir in milk.  Put on top of fruit mixture.  Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.

No comments: