Monday, January 12, 2009

Baked Pota-DUH

As someone who lives in a tiny apartment with limited counter and pantry space, just about anything perishable goes in the refrigerator... even potatoes.  I've been doing this since I've been living on my own and I've always wondered why my baked potatoes come out weird.  The center takes forever to cook through, and as a result of the longer cooking process, the skin gets all crunchy and shriveled and the outer potato is almost inedible.  I even expressed my difficulty with potato baking in a previous post (Baked Potato Soup) and many of you provided some great tips, but they didn't seem to help. 

Recently I was flipping through my new Bon Appetit Fast Easy Fresh Cookbook and found a section on produce selection and storage.  There I saw it as plain as day, "Do not store potatoes in the refrigerator.  Chilling turns the starches into sugar, producing unappetizing flavors."  Oops!  We recently tried Baked Potato Soup again with properly stored potatoes and they baked perfectly.  Problem solved!  I feel a little embarrassed that it took me this long to figure it out, but I've certainly learned from my mistakes.  I wonder what else I shouldn't be keeping in the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can always Can potatoes so they don't spoil :)