Friday, May 1, 2009

Rhubarb-Strawberry Crisp

Last summer, on our grand tour of the USA, I bought a cookbook at City Tavern in Philadelphia. I've been wanting to make the Rhubarb-Strawberry Crisp from that cookbook ever since we got home in July, but I have not been able to find rhubarb in the store, and I wasn't about to use frozen. After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I learned that rhubarb is a springtime plant so it reminded me to start looking for rhubarb again.  Sure enough, I found it on the first try. It was one of those, "I'm pretty sure this is rhubarb, but I don't see a sign confirming it" kind of moments. I just knew that it looked like red celery. I was relieved when the cashier agreed that it was indeed rhubarb.

As you probably know, I'm a very picky eater. I have to take deep breaths before tasting something new. I had had rhubarb once in a pie as a child, but I couldn't really remember it. And my mom had had a strawberry rhubarb pie that she said was delicious. But other than that, I have to admit that I was a little scared. I kept assuring Brett, who was very wary of the rhubarb, that it would be good, but I didn't tell him that I was also trying to reassure myself.

I cut up two cups of strawberries, and two cups of rhubarb, drizzled them with 1tsp lemon juice/2T water/1/4 cup brown sugar/ 1/2 cup white sugar mixture. Stirred that up and then dumped it into a baking dish. I made a traditional streusel topping- no oats or nuts- and sprinkled that on top.  I let it bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (instead of 30) because the recipe was for individual servings and I thought it might need longer.

When it came out of the oven it was bubbling and beautiful, but very liquidy.  I think that maybe it didn't need the extra cooking time after all.

It turns out that I stressed out over rhubarb for no reason, because it was delicious. Brett claimed he couldn't even taste it.  The truth is, that anything would be good under all that sugar!

No comments: