Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Helen's Hashbrown Casserole

I recently took this casserole to a Fourth of July party that my friends were throwing. When asked to describe what I was bringing I said, "It is one of those artery clogging side dishes that two people should never eat by themselves, yet Brett and I rarely do. It's got hashbrowns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, cheddar cheese, and onions, topped with cornflakes and drizzled with... more butter. It's delicious."

My friend's response was priceless, "Delightful! Why do I smell Paula Deen?"

She really wasn't too far off. Right part of the country anyway. This recipe comes from my great-aunt Helen, who (of course) lived in Arkansas.

Helen's Hashbrown Casserole
32 oz package of shredded hashbrowns
1/4 cup butter, melted
12 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 onion chopped
10 oz can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp salt
(another) 1/4 cup butter, melted
cornflakes

Place thawed potatoes in a greased 13x9 baking dish. In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup melted butter, soup, cheese, sour cream, onion, and salt.

Pour over potatoes. Top with lots of cornflakes. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 comments:

Mamma_buddha said...

OK, I finally put my name on this thing. I also sent in the Mojo recipe from the Melting Pot. The uncooked picture looks rather gross, but holy cow it sounds so delicious! The end product looks delicious too. We are going to visit my husbands parents for the weekend ad maybe I'll be adventurous and make this. I'm glad I came across this website. I love to cook and try new recipes and my family are my guinea pigs. I cant wait to try some of these!

Kim in the Kitchen said...

I'm glad you like my blog! The hashbrown casserole is awesome and a TOTAL crowd pleaser. I agree the goo picture does look kind of gross, but trust me, it will turn out great!