Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nancy's Blueberry Crisp

I cannot believe I have not shared this recipe yet. It is quite possibly the easiest dessert ever and it is also one of my all-time favorites. Brett and I have been making and enjoying this since our college days. My Aunt Nancy blessed us with this recipe a long time ago, and I will be eternally grateful... I am not exaggerating... it is that good. THANK YOU NANCY!

Blueberries were in abundance and on sale this week, so of course I immediately thought of Blueberry Crisp. Here are the ingredients: 20 oz crushed pineapple, 3 cups (at least) of blueberries, 1 box of yellow cake mix, 1 stick of butter, and 1/2 a cup of sugar. (Pecans are optional... Nancy always opts yes, I always opt no... either way it is delicious.)

Layer in the order given. Pineapple first- juice and all

Blueberries next

Then dump the dry cake mix on top of that. It is weird the first time you do it, but trust me it is awesome. I think the technical name for this kind of dessert is "dump" cake because you just dump the cake mix on top, but I don't think that sounds very appetizing.

Next sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar over everything, then pour melted butter over everything, then add another 1/4 cup of sugar.

Then bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

And then eat it. I don't think too highly of raw blueberries, but I must say that when they are cooked, they are among my favorite fruits. Even though this dessert is not the prettiest thing in the world, it packs a major punch in the taste department.

It is also wonderful the next day. We like to reheat individual servings in the microwave and then crack through the crusty top layer with a spoon and mix it all around. Brett even claims to like it better the second day.

No comments: