Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's Still Just Oatmeal

I've been hearing about steel-cut oats for a while now. They are more nutritious than rolled oats, have a more firm texture, and I had heard that they taste better too. I'm not a big fan of oatmeal. I will eat it, but that doesn't mean that I like it. It is mushy and slimy and doesn't taste good without brown sugar. I guess I thought that steel cut oats would magically not taste like oatmeal. I don't know how I delude myself into these ideas.

It's still just oatmeal!

Slimy, mushy oatmeal.

I had made a big pot, and after choking down a small bowl I seriously considered throwing the leftovers away. But if it's remotely edible I will not throw anything away, so into the fridge it went. And, surprisingly, the next day it was much better. It had firmed up and lost some of it's slime. The texture felt kind of like rice pudding. I almost enjoyed it. But it was still just oatmeal.

Bottom line: If you like oatmeal then you'll probably like steel-cut oats. If you don't like oatmeal, don't expect any miracles, you probably won't like steel-cut oats.

No comments: