Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Southern Living Baked French Toast


French toast has always been one of my favorite breakfasts, and lately I have been making it for dinner immediately following bean pizza to use up the leftover french bread. This is the recipe that I grew up eating, and let me just say that my mom's is better. However, I also need to say that I try to make it a tad healthier which probably accounts for the difference in taste. The recipe calls for Pet milk, but I use 1%, it also calls for 4 tablespoons of butter and I only use 3. Lately I have been adding a bit of fresh ground nutmeg to the batter. My mother-in-law gave me some fresh nutmeg nuts for Christmas and this is one of the things I've used it in. (I've also used it in an apple cake I made a while back and I dropped the whole nut in the batter...oops! I just washed it off and let it dry and it still works just fine:)) The nutmeg is subtle and adds just a hint of flavor to the french toast. I realize my presentation is lacking...but to me all that matters is how it tastes, and this tastes good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the recipe you used?

MyRecipes.com

Anonymous said...

Nope. My recipe is probably 30 years old. Here it is:
Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup pet milk
3 T sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
6 slices of french bread
4 T butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees


Combine eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla in a 13x9 Pyrex baking dish, large enough to hold all of the bread slices in a single layer. Soak all the bread slices in this mixture for 2 min. Turn and continue to soak until the bread has absorbed all of the liquid.

Place butter in a 13x9 pyrex baking dish and melt butter in the oven, watching carefully. Add the bread, in one layer, and bake for 15 min. Turn and continue to bake for 10 min., or until golden.

Serve immediately with powdered sugar and syrup.