Friday, February 29, 2008

Chili Chip Casserole

While it may not be the most beautiful dinner ever (presentation has never been my forte), it sure is tasty. Chili Chip Casserole is one of Brett's favorites from when he was a kid, so of course the recipe comes to us from his mom. Not only is it yummy, but it also takes very little skill to put together, which I love. I brown ground turkey, drain the fat, add 3/4 cup of water, a small can of tomato paste, and a packet of Lawry's Chili seasoning. There I go again with the seasoning packets! Then I get a casserole dish out and line the bottom with Doritos. I layer 1/2 the meat mixture, then 1/2 of a can of Ranch Style beans, followed by about a cup of cheddar cheese, then meat and beans again, then the grand finale (and tastiest part) Doritos topped with more cheese. I bake it with the lid on for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees and then take the lid off and bake for 5 more minutes.

When Brett and I eat it we take the top Doritos off our servings and save them for last:) It's just like nachos (Nacho Super-Cheesier!) Some people (like Brett's brother) might say, "Eeeeeew soggy Doritos on the bottom!" but I say give it a try (I think they are yummy) and if the Doritos on the bottom do gross you out, then next time leave them out. We make this often, probably every other week or so, and it lasts two nights.

No comments: