Monday, April 13, 2009

Dutch Babies

Another recipe that had been gathering dust since my bridal shower (4 years ago!) is for Dutch Babies. The recipe was given to me by a family friend, along with the pyrex dishes that we use ALL the time.  Many families have a special occasion breakfast and I can totally see why this is theirs. However, unlike many special occasion breakfasts, this one is incredibly easy, so it allows whoever is cooking to celebrate right along with everyone else. In typical Kim and Brett fashion, we made this for dinner instead of breakfast.

The recipe calls for a Tablespoon of butter in each dish, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that so I put 1/2 a Tablespoon (you could probably even put less if you want.)  While that was melting in the 425 degree oven, I got the batter together:
3/4 cup flour
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
That's it!  I stirred it up and it was quite lumpy, but that's exactly what the recipe said to expect.

When the butter was melted I sprayed a little cooking spray in there just for good measure, tried to distribute the batter evenly between the 4 dishes, and then put them in the oven for 15 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled them out of the oven!

We weren't exactly sure how to serve it so the first one just stayed in its dish and the second one got turned out onto a plate. 

We poured maple syrup and sprinkled powdered sugar over the top and it was delicious. They tasted a little bit like french toast but eggier. The texture was light and delicate, but it was rich and filling. We really liked it, and since it was sooooo easy, I'm sure we will see it again.

No comments: