Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas

It is rare to find a recipe worth trying in Glamour magazine, but that's where this one came from. Of course I changed a good deal of the recipe so it's more like it was inspired by a recipe found in Glamour magazine. The recipe called for red pepper, broccoli, and black beans and I didn't use any of them. I did substitute shredded chicken (leftover from my baked chicken) for the black beans though. I sauteed some onions and garlic in olive oil and then stirred in some chopped fresh cilantro, and a ridiculous amount of mozzarella cheese.

Probably the best advice I got from this recipe is to heat the corn tortillas in a dry non-stick pan until they are pretty hot. This prevents the tortillas from cracking when you add the filling and roll them up. I've always had so many problems with cracking tortillas that I didn't expect this trick to work, but it totally did! Only my first one cracked and that was because I didn't let it get hot enough.

Once the enchiladas were all rolled up, I poured a lot of Salsa Verde over the top and then put them in a 350 degree oven for fifteen minutes. So easy!

They tasted great. I do prefer red enchilada sauce to salsa verde, so the next time I make this I'll probably switch to red. I might even add some more cheese too :)

No comments: