Saturday, March 27, 2010

Crescent Zucchini and Squash Pie

When I told Brett that we were trying a new recipe called "Crescent Zucchini and Squash Pie" he was anything but enthusiastic. In fact he was probably dreading it. But, we both agree that, despite the name, this recipe turned out to be really tasty!

I got this recipe from Simple and Delicious magazine several months ago and just now got around to trying it. I think I was scared of it. The reason I chose it is because it has crescent rolls, lots of cheese, and probably the most inoffensive vegetable around.

I started by cutting up an onion and lots of zucchini and yellow squash. This all got sauteed with some butter until they got tender.

Then I spread crescent roll dough out into the bottom of a pie plate. This was not as easy as the recipe makes it seem. And because of my deep hatred of mustard, I left it out. I also forgot to grease the pan, but this turned out to not be that big of a problem. Even low-fat crescents seem to have enough grease.

Then I grated a gob of Jack and Mozzarella cheese and mixed it with 2 eggs, salt, pepper, and dried basil. I left out the parsley flakes and dried oregano because I think they smell weird.

Once the zucchini mixture had cooled a little bit, I mixed it in with the cheese mixture, and then poured it into the pie plate.

It baked at 375 degrees for 25 minutes and then needed to go a little bit longer because it was still a little soupy. I had to cover the "crust" edges with foil so they wouldn't burn.

The final product was really good. The only problem was that the crescent rolls in the middle of the pie plate were still a little doughy. This dish was a little rich and lasted us two nights. I think next time I might put less salt too.

No comments: