Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Meatball Subs

Brett has been requesting meatball subs for dinner a lot lately so I finally gave in. It is extremely easy to pull together, at least if you use precooked-frozen meatballs like I did, oh yeah, and Prego sauce too. I don't consider this cooking, it's more like heating and assembling. The frozen meatballs (which I use for meatball soup) did present a problem. The directions said to reheat over medium heat in a covered saucepan with your favorite sauce for 25 minutes! So I apprehensively followed the directions and of course after about 2 minutes of that, the sauce was going nuts. I reduced the heat and added a bit more sauce, but there was no way it was going to survive for 23 more minutes. So at the 15 minute mark, the sauce was starting to burn onto the pan and I called it quits and just crossed my fingers that the meatballs were not still frozen in the middle. I put six meatballs, 2 slices of provolone cheese, and some extra sauce on each fresh french bread sandwich loaf. I warmed the sandwiches in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese, and then we ate. I did take a picture but it turned out blurry so you'll just have to imagine. Everything turned out yummy. I have had very little experience with provolone cheese, but I think I have a new favorite. I got the idea to use it for these sandwiches from Sam the Cooking Guy who is a local San Diego guy with a cooking show that we really enjoy. He had just made meatball subs on his show and the provolone looked oooey and goooey and delicious...and it was!

No comments: