Thursday, March 13, 2008

Veggie Lo Mein

Tonight's dinner comes from Rachael Ray's Veggie Meals cookbook that I got for Christmas. Brett and I have been trying to eat less meat and consequently branch out to vegetables. Neither of us like vegetables very much at all, and so there are few that I cook with, and even fewer that I'll eat (I'm always picking things out and pushing things to the side.) I will eat bell pepper (sometimes) and these snow pea pods are tolerable (but I won't say delicious.) Even though I don't like eating veggies a whole lot, I really like chopping them. Here are all of the ingredients ready to go. Canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, chow mein noodles, scallions, red bell pepper, snow peas, grated fresh ginger, and minced garlic.




The recipe actually calls for spaghetti, but I wanted to be slightly more authentic and try actual chow mein noodles. The cooking process is kind of neat. You put the dried noodles in boiling water and when it comes back up to a boil you add half a cup of cold water. When it comes up to a boil again you add another half cup of cold water and then repeat it one more time. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but I like to follow directions:)



When the noodles are almost done, I start stir-frying the veggies. For the last minute, I add the garlic and ginger, and then finally I add the noodles, soy sauce, and just a little sesame oil (a little goes a long way.) I love fresh ginger. There was a fabulous Hawaiian smoothie/coffee place within walking distance called Java Kai that made smoothies with fresh ginger that were amazing. Unfortunately they went out of business :( Anyway, it is somewhat difficult to get the noodles to mix in well with the veggies, so when we served ourselves, we ended up having to pick the veggies out individually and add them to the top of our noodles. All in all, good dinner. And I did eat all my vegetables...this time.


No comments: