Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Veggie Meatball Soup


Get out your crock pot! If you don't mind chopping a few veggies, this recipe is a keeper. I got it out of Simple and Delicious magazine, I think from the Dec/Jan issue. This is always a weekend meal for us because it has to cook for 6 hours which means that I have to start it in the middle of the day. So Sunday evening was meatball soup and Total Recall night. For some reason Arnold and meatballs just seem to go together:)

There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, so it looks a little ridiculous at first, but a lot of them are spices and foods that most people keep on hand. The only thing you really have to buy are the frozen meatballs (which come in a giant bag that will last a while,) green beans, zucchini, and carrots. The recipe calls for tomatoes, but Brett and I aren't huge fans, so I just leave them out. This recipe also makes a lot so it lasts for a couple of nights and maybe one lunch. I'll post the recipe in the comments section in case you are interested.

1 comment:

Kim in the Kitchen said...

Veggie Meatball Soup

25 frozen cooked Italian meatballs
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups beef broth
2 cups shredded cabbage (I leave this out)
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup green beans (I use frozen)
1 cup water
2 medium carrots, sliced (I use 1)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni ( I use cellentani)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I leave this out too)

In a 5 qt. slow cooker, combine the first 14 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 hrs.

Stir in the macaroni and parsley; cook 30 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender.