Friday, February 15, 2008

Tortellini Soup



This is what a typical dinner at our place looks like. One of our favorites is tortellini soup because it's yummy and ridiculously easy. If you have a garlic press, there's no chopping needed.

What you do is heat a little olive oil (on low) in a saucepan, add a few shakes of dried basil, and press a big clove of garlic into the pan. stir it until the garlic starts to turn golden. Then add a box of chicken stock. (Tonight I used organic because it was majorly on sale but Brett and I agree that Swanson's low sodium is better.) It will sizzle a lot at first and be kind of scary, but just give it a moment to calm down before you pour the whole box in. Wait for it to boil (crank the heat up) and then add a couple handfuls of frozen green beans and half a box of Buitoni tortellini (we use 3 cheese.) Once it starts boiling again lower the heat and let it simmer for about 8 minutes.

This recipe is loosely based on one from my mom, but I have cut some things out to make it much faster. I've learned you don't really need to follow an exact recipe for it to turn out well. I left the recipe out for Brett to make one time when I was going to be home later them him not realizing that I don't really go by the recipe. I got home and found him measuring the basil...how cute:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good! Your blog might get me cooking again! If only I could force myself to go to the grocery store! jaja!