Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cheddar Chowder


Here is a tasty chowder recipe that I found many years ago in a Kraft cookbook. It has become one of our family favorites and it's easy, too.

In a medium size saucepan, put 2 cups water, 2 cups diced red potatoes, 1/2 cup sliced carrots, 1/2 cup sliced celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. (I love the celery, but my family asks me to leave it out, so I boil the celery in a small saucepan and add it to my bowl only.) Bring this mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not drain.

While the vegetables are boiling, melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan. Then add 1/4 cup flour, stirring well. Pour in 2 cups milk and stir until thickened. Next add 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese and stir until well blended. Add 1 cup cooked, cubed ham and stir until well blended. (I usually buy a package of precooked ham, but left over ham works, too.) Now add the vegetable mixture, water and all, to the cheese mixture. Stir till heated, but not boiling. Serve at once with toasted french bread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that sounds good. Do you think anyone would mind if I crumbled some bacon on top?