Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chicken Taco Salad



Here is a recipe that is good anytime, but especially a nice one to have during those hot summer months when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen. It is easy to throw together and all you need are a few ingredients. 

I start out with a mixture of red lettuce (my new favorite) and iceberg lettuce. The red lettuce gives it a little bit more color and it is better for you anyway. I distribute it evenly between plates. Next comes the chicken. I like to use leftover chicken from a previous baked chicken meal, but you can boil a few chicken breasts or even use drained canned chicken. Place the chicken on top of the lettuce.

Then for more color and taste, I add avocado slices and tomato wedges. Top with shredded jack cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. 

For the dressing, I use Ortega medium taco sauce, but you can use any brand that you like. Personally, I prefer the mild taco sauce best, but it can sometimes be hard to find. The original recipe calls for crushed tortilla chips to be sprinkled on top of it, but we serve the chips on the side.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This salad sounds like a winner during the summer! I remember that Chili's used to have a Southwest dressing that was basically salsa mixed with ranch dressing. It might work on this salad also (for those people who refuse to eat salad without "real" dressing. i.e. my picky husband)