Saturday, March 29, 2008

Enchiladas


Last night I threw together a pan of enchiladas (sorry the picture is blurry.) It was quite possibly one of the easiest things I've ever done, and I'm sure I will do this again because it was delicious.

I was flipping through a cookbook, trying make the weekend menu, when I came across a cheesy enchilada recipe that I have made before, but it's probably been 4 years. Why the lapse in cheesy enchilada making? One word...Velveeta. Now, I'll be the first to admit that Velveeta is tasty. I also have no idea how unhealthy it is (something tells me not very healthy.) The main thing that bothers me about Velveeta is that it is not refrigerated. I just feel like cheese (even "cheese product") should be refrigerated. I remember the first time I went looking to buy Velveeta and couldn't find it for the life of me. I finally had to ask, and I was led straight to the cracker aisle. It kind of freaked me out.

So when I came across this enchilada recipe, I thought, "Why can't I make enchiladas with actual cheese?" I researched online a little bit for various enchilada recipes and decided this was incredibly easy. A recipe was not even necessary for how I was envisioning doing it. We all know I hate raw chicken, so I bought a packet of Foster Farms pre-grilled and sliced chicken breast (on sale.) All I had to do was spray the baking dish with Pam, fill corn tortillas with Cheddar cheese, Jack cheese, and chicken bites, squeeze them all into the pan, and pour a can of enchilada sauce over the top. (I also garnished with some Jack cheese like they do in restaurants.) I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and called it dinner :)

No comments: