Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

It was my choice for our baking adventure this weekend, and I thought pineapple upside-down cake sounded delicious. We haven't made it since sophmore year of college, which was probably the last time I ate it. I did choose a different recipe this time, because the other one just called for a yellow cake mix, and I wanted to start from scratch.

I started off by making the melted butter/brown sugar mixture for the bottom (actually the top) of the cake. It was very thick and took a while to melt down to a liquid. But once it did, I poured it into a pie plate and Brett placed the pineapples quickly. Once it cooled (which didn't take long) it became as hard as a rock, and I was worried. But I figured it would melt again in the oven. The cake batter was delicious and thick and tasted more like cookie dough than cake batter to me. I baked it according to directions, did a toothpick test at the end of baking and everything seemed fine.

Then it came time to flip it, and about half of the brown sugar in the bottom of the pan, stayed in the bottom of the pan as hard as a rock. Oh well. There was still enough of the glaze on the cake that it had the overall appearance that I expect from a pineapple upside down cake.

It tasted ok. It wasn't the most delicious thing I've ever put in my mouth, and it wasn't bad either. I think the cake was a tad under-done because it was slightly doughy in the center...so much for my toothpick test. Next time, I think I'll return to the old recipe and just use the cake mix.

No comments: