Saturday, April 19, 2008

Black Bean and Zucchini Chilaquiles

This week I tried a new recipe from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook that I had checked out at the library. It vaguely resembled one of our favorites, chili chip casserole, in that it had layers of corn tortillas (instead of Doritos,) layers of bean mixture (instead of beans,) and lots of cheese. The main part of the meal is of course the bean mixture which consisted of onions, green pepper, zucchini, black beans, a giant can of crushed tomatoes, and a tiny can of mild green chili peppers (along with spices.) Most of that sounded pretty good to me, but when I began to pour the giant can of crushed tomatoes into the pan I got very scared. Neither Brett nor I like tomatoes, and this was a lot of tomato product. I even cut out a can of diced tomatoes that the recipe called for, and it still looked like WAY too much tomato. I threw in some frozen corn on a whim, with the hopes of distracting Brett from the tomato.



Once it simmered for a few minutes the mixture thickened up and didn’t look quite as tomato-ey. I got to work on the layers, spilling a good portion onto the stove-top (I still haven’t wiped it up! I’m so bad!) Then I put it in the oven to bake.


The corn tortillas soaked up a lot of the juices, leaving nice thick layers of bean and zucchini chili. I thought it smelled and tasted a lot like enchiladas (with way less cheese) probably because of the tortillas and spicy tomato sauce.




Brett, of course thought it was too tomato-ey, so for once, I was the one who ended up stuck with the leftovers. I did enjoy it, but it was not hearty enough to stand alone as a meal, and since it did not get unanimous approval, it will not make another appearance at our dinner table. Oh well.

No comments: